Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Country Inns: Auldridge Mead

Tucked away in the rolling meadows of eastern Pennsylvania, an 18th-century fieldstone farmhouse doubles as Auldridge Mead Inn.


Nestled in the rolling hills of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, this 18th-century farmhouse was turned into a bed-and-breakfast four years ago by co-owners Craig Mattoli and Karyn Coigne. Craig, a woodworker and craftsman by trade, spent six months combing the area for the antiques and art that fill Auldridge Mead's main house.


"A lot of people are curious about houses of this age," Craig says, "and friends kept saying, 'What a great place to open a country inn.'" So he set about restoring the 15-acre property's main house and stone bank barn to their original grandeur. When he couldn't find appropriate period antiques, Craig substituted his own handwrought wood-carved reproductions.

In the living room, a blazing fire welcomes visitors. A floor lamp offers illumination for curling up with a good book. The red china cupboard behind is original to the house.

Country Feast


The kitchen was added to the main house in 1810. To achieve an aged effect on the wood surrounding the period fireplace, owner Craig Mattoli used paint made especially for porous surfaces which crackled when it dried. Co-owner Karyn Coigne, formerly a chef at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia, created the autumn feast which features rabbit, fresh local greens, and a pumpkin pie ringed with cranberries.

Enjoying the Outdoors


The fieldstone house has 11 rooms (five for guests) and six fireplaces. Fall is the peak season at this inn; guests come to enjoy the outdoor activities that can be found nearby, which include horseback riding, bicycling, boating, and rock climbing.

A Cozy Spot


Another fireplace is found in this guest room. The mantel and doorway were sponge painted, then coated with a dark-red oil glaze. At the foot of the bed sits a Sheraton-style Maryland blanket chest dating to the early 1880's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made that inn. I decorated the inside with my own woodwork and painting techniques and I used an art and antique collection that I had put together over the years to furnish it. I am glad that you liked it.
Now, I am in China, beginning a new business in Chinese art, including paintings, sculpture,ceramics, teapots, and great reproductions of famous art. I am using the same sense of artistic content and style to put together this collection. If you are interested keeping current on our activities in Chinese art, you can contact us at clm@clmattioli.com or see our website, which is just being put together, at www.redhillchina.com
I appreciate the compliment of being the subject of your blog.
Craig L. Mattoli

Anonymous said...

What a superexcellent work!!!
I like it so much when I see the pictures~
I went to the website,too. The things are all nice, but I hope there are more goods updated~
Waiting for your new catalogs!

Anonymous said...

I stayed there several years ago for Thanksgiving. A wonderful experiencee.

Question: Are they still renting rooms on weekends?

How do I ocntact them

Anonymous said...

I Stayed there years ago and my Wife and I loved it.

Are they still available for weekends?